I think Coachwerks...
"My name is Shane Irwin; I am a lecturer, theatre practitioner, artist, poet, dancer and development worker. I wish to give testimony to the value of CoachWerks, a venue with heart, ambition and an open concern for Art in the community and for the community.

I first encountered CoachWerks in 2009 when participating in a physical theatre workshop led by internationally acclaimed artist Yael Karavan. The venue made an instant impact upon me, not because of the space, although the dance/performance space is alive, clean and adaptable; but because of the people that contributed and managed the venue, their friendly approach and astute resolve to ensure CoachWerks remained at the heart of a community much deprived of art was and is something to be admired. Given the fact that so many volunteer their time out of dedication it is clear that there is both a desire and a possibility for a venue such as this to thrive and contribute to a community that is outside of the familiar Brighton network of art and artists.
I would like to state how creative this venue is in its encompassing approach to art; for although primarily established as a dance base it has entertained theatre, poetry, storytelling, art, film and of course dance. Already it has attracted international performers and producers to work in the space and present their work.
On one occasion I had the opportunity to present performance work that had evolved during a week-long workshop, I have been performing for over twenty years now but I remember standing outside post performance and speaking with a man who lived just down the road, he told me that he never got to see “stuff” like that and was thrilled to have it on his doorstep, that will remain with me as a raison d’etre for performance. I also spoke to a woman with two daughters, one of whom was I believe challenged in some way, all three had thoroughly enjoyed the evening and were extremely appreciative of the work and the venue. I believe if considered for core funding CoachWerks will surprise any arts body by being responsive and responsible to the community.
I am soon to exhibit in CoachWerks, March 22-28 to be precise, once again I am indebted to this venue for this is my first exhibition in 24 years and the process has been made so easy by the provision of voluntary support. If you are involved in the art world you will doubtless know how difficult it is to find exhibition space, if you happen to also be poor, as many artists are, then you will appreciate just how exceptional it is that this has cost me nothing in terms of venue hire, again the desire to include visual art into their programme motivates the team at CoachWerks to venture forth where others hesitate.
I cannot emphasise enough how impassioned I am about this venue and I strongly urge any who read this to venture forth and see this community at work."

Shane Irwin
Lecturer, theatre practitioner, artist, poet, dancer and development worker