this is my first proper blog post for CW.
So I came back from London today and Paul was just putting the finishing touches on the wall of Hartnell's space. It's amazing how lifted it looks now & reminds me of the changes that happened when we got the pressure washer in several months ago and cleaned the floor. Getting into the corners really helps, whether it's cleaning or painting - it makes everything feel cloder to being finished and usable.
Martin came today and we hada good talk about plans. He's been out of it for a bit stressing over space/work and this kind of thing, but from this weekend, he's going to be more around, working more closely with everyone and putting some energy into creating some useable space for himself. We are going to put some energy into tidying both yards over the next few days and working on storage solutions for all our excess materials. In order that he is able to really be at CW, he needs somewhere to work, so I am going to help him clear a temporary corner (more corners!) to set up a desk and a computer. He's prepared to be flexible, so we can move it somewhere as and when. I suggested using the corner next to Maggie's (which will become Tony's space) for the time being, until we have somewhere better. It may last only a couple of days.
I think we should partition the space using the big wooden partition panels that Richard and I picked up from the Big Yellow that time - so that performers who need to practice can at least not be distracted by the usual mad visuals of CW! This will be temporary, but as they were designed for this kind of thing, I suggest we use them, to give the performers some privacy.
I would like to extend a massive kiss on the lips to everyone who made the floor happen. It is totally like, glowing and stuff. As I already said lots - this is the year of us (as in you and me).
Graeme News:
I was feeling a bit lost, but now I feel better, having identified new mad projects to work on at CW. Here are some of my ideas for things I am developing:
- Programming - this is going to become a major part of what's going on at CW - both to earn us some revenue, but to continue our community development. My first idea is to start a series of weekly learning sessions (workshops/lectures/seminars/whatevers) called Hot Cakes! So every week there will be a different alternative learning experience and there will also be hot cakes (and tea), which is obviously the most important thing. There is a huge amount of potential stuff that is going on in the space and it all needs co-ordinating really well, so we don't tread on each other's toes too much. I am working on this a lot at the moment and have identified a little system that I will outline below*
- In the future, perhaps we will also make a paper programme - but that will only be able to have really fixed things on it - whereas a blackboard & the website can be more flexible. But I think it will be beneficial to the space to keep getting the word out.
- I am working on a booking system for coachwerks spaces and people and projects - this is happening slowly while I work my head around how to make it as simple as possible.
- I want to make a big blackboard outside the space that tells everyone who goes past what is going on for the month & there will be an online equivalent (actually, there already is)
- I also want to make a big blackboard outside the hermitage which will have ideas on it for projects people want me to do and projects for the space. This will make me feel nice :)
- It is a good thing that we just so happen to have 2 blackboards.
- Maggie is doing this thing in London called The Great Orchidaceous Travesty that I'm going to be in. You can see the website of it here. Good possible news for CW is that we may be able to get some tables and chairs out of it.
- I would like to call a meeting soon between CW crew to work out an excellent and efficient way we can have licenses and pay our rent.
- I am making big plans for the yard - come and talk with me about them - you'll probably want to help!
- I've been looking into Solar Electricity for CW - I think we can get 100% funding for it. We've got some perfect space for it - ie the gable end wall of Adam and Ruth's place.
- Today I was offered a beach hut - I will put the museum in it I think.
- In the summer I am going to do some projects with the local kids - a cinema & workshops and things. Actually, it's a good time to start thinking about screenings again.
---------
* In order to co-ordinate everyone properly, I have identified the following things each CW crew member needs to share:
- each other's emails, phone numbers etc
- a usable booking system for people/spaces
- access to the website (for blogging and personal pages)
- access to the central CW email, mailing list & calendar
- a personal calendar
- a calendar for each project space
- everyone else's calendars
I think it is really really important to co-ordinate all our contacts and perhaps by working from a single email account, with different folders for different people/spaces, we can achieve something that works.
We shall see - let the work continue to progress and progress!
Now for some Morris
G x