I think Coachwerks...
"I have lived in Brighton for 7 years, and throughout this time I have worked professionally as a performer, and more recently I also trained as a teacher.
Throughout this time I have had times consistently in performance work and others without. For me as a performer I needed to find consistency, a place that I could work and practice my skills at all times.
I have for years searched and researched various classes, companies, and workshops in Brighton, but unfortunately I couldn’t find a place that I could train professionally. I found many beginner groups, one of workshops, and worked for some interesting semi professional theatre groups, however I kept hitting the same problems.
1, Many classes are for beginners
2, There are not any classes organised for people who want to keep training in specific skills, such as physical theatre (Again there are beginner groups)
3, The Dome runs fantastic workshops but every 6 months, and again are usually for beginners.
4, There are many interesting companies but as they are researching and rehearsing their own work, the only way to work with them is through an audition, therefore when you get invited.
I stumbled across the Coachwerks as I recently set up a theatre co-operative in Brighton, the idea was to work with like minded people, share skills, and hopefully work towards performances. This co-operative worked very well at first, but the difficulty was finding a space, working out ways to pay for it. I contacted the Coachwerks and straight away we started working together, and it was clear immediately that this place had so much to offer myself and others.
The coachwerks offers me a place to Learn, train, teach and share my skills with committed people (Open to all). At the Coachwerks the classes are open to all, but the level of training seems to work for all, so I don’t feel frustrated with the level of training or students, the fact that people are committed whether they are experienced or not seems to make a difference.
The training is varied and I am learning a lot. In the industry today many companies are looking for performers with physical theatre skills and it’s almost impossible to find affordable consistent training, not only in Brighton but throughout the country. There are many weekend workshops that will cast you around £200, there are year courses etc. Over the past 2 years I have found my training in Berlin Prague and Latvia, all of these places offer physical theatre training at an affordable price, but again they were one of month or weeks workshops and I need consistent training if I am to continue growing as a performer.
The coachwerks also offers opportunities to show your work
Finally it’s a fantastic place to network and meet new amazing creative people, a place where you can find a true blend of individuals and groups all working relentlessly to reach their goals and assist others in their pursuits."
Nuala Cavanagh
Actor / Teacher / Director