I think Coachwerks...
"I have attended Coachwerks for a 2 day workshop (Yael Karavan) and I am participating in a scratch night on March 13th. I became aware of Coachwerks during the Festival of workshops and lectures about Grotowski which I was unfortunately unable to attend but was very impressed by the breadth of its scope and ambitions. The Yael Karavan workshop was extremely valuable experience. I learned a lot in 2 days and really appreciated the Coachwerks environment and personnel. A very warm and relaxed and serious group of people.
The scratch night is playing an important role in my evolving practice. As a performer I need audiences and venues such as these to develop my craft. I cannot only work alone and with colleagues but I do not necessarily always want the pressure of having to present a completed work. I have already learned a great deal from feedback from previous scratch performances in the workshop setting with Coachwerks personnel.
I have been impressed by the clarity and enthusiasm with which work has been promoted and undertaken. Information has been clear and readily available and the execution impeccable. Costs seem very reasonable. The work has also been of a challenging and high standard and quality.
I think that Coachwerks is filling a very valuable, actually vital role on our arts and cultural economy. I.e a place outside and between Educational and Cultural institutions for artists to learn and to rehearse and to develop. Places such as these are a bridge between the individual idea and the larger venue and formal training. Without places such as this cultural life cannot flourish due to inhibitions of finances and cultural access. I see Coachwerks as a home for experimentation and research where one can make mistakes and stretch and tests ones limits and capabilities. Coachwerks also provides a community and audiences. I sincerely hope that my relationship will grow and develop as Coachwerks does and I hope that I may also be of service to it."
Lucy Thane
Red Shoe Films (London)