I think Coachwerks...
"I started my relationship with Coachwerks a year ago when I learnt that a group of artists were involved in turning a derelict coach garage into a space for different artists to develop their work. The prospect of a new artist space in Brighton immediately appealed to me. I was a performing artist in need of an affordable and easily available place where to create my work, practise my craft and meet other artists from whom to nourish. I went there for a first “buildathon”, a call to gather people help build a concrete floor and other jobs. I had an amazing time working with some other 20 enthusiasts and was impressed by the drive and will of the Coachwerks people to make their dream come true -and by their team spirit. I began to contribute regularly towards the building, refurbishment and maintenance of the space and I had fun, diners by the fire and candlelight, and I bonded with the co-werkers and people who regularly use the space.

Coachwerks has been crucial in my development as an artist since then. I’ve taken part in various performance events and I’ve come into contact with a large number of artists, nurturing both professionally and personally. Creating and performing there a piece for the Brighton Fringe Festival 09 was so fruitful. And specially exciting, as I had worked hard for the life and existence of the space. The brand new large performance studio suited the piece perfectly, ideal both for the set –the recreation of a public library, and the audience placement –50 audience members sitting at different tables inside the space at the centre of the performance action. The always enthusiastic and pro-active Coachwerks team were professional, available and always ready to lend a hand. Such an environment made it an amazing creative experience providing the necessary conditions for play and focused work. The piece was only possible because of the affordability of the space. I also benefited from invaluable professional advice and constructive feedback during the process. The piece eventually received an encouraging five-star Fringe review and was taken to other venues.

Following the Fringe I continued helping out with whatever tasks were needed in the organisation of further events: from cleaning and door duties to serving drinks and assisting other artists participating in the extraordinary International Experimental Performance Festival. This was an incredible experience in which I learned a lot about how bigger events are organised and I got involved with artists from diverse walks of life. I’ve also taken part in training and learning through the multitude of quality workshops that followed the festival and have attended shows, work-in-progress presentations, interesting discussions and talks… I’ve observed how well Coachwerks involves the public in artistic processes and performance culture and how the public is appreciative of this.

The upbeat, hands-on attitude typical of the co-werkers spreads like a beautiful fire. Experiencing and witnessing the benefits that such activities bring to artists, students and audiences, a desire to contribute with my organisational skills has grown in me. I’m now engaged in organising, promoting and publicising events, liaising with local and national artists, academics, students, institutions and the media. I’m learning loads about how to run public events and as a result my confidence in this area has built up. Thanks to the Viewfinder Series I’ve developed an increased interest in work-in-progress presentations for artistic testing and the active involvement of the audience in the process. Hence, I’ve offered to run the first Scratch night at Coachwerks in March. This will hopefully be a valuable experience for me in terms of how to effectively facilitate a constructive dialogue between artists and audiences that benefits both.

Coachwerks has also given me the opportunity to continue with my development as a performing arts teacher. I’m currently part of a weekly open teaching/learning scheme whereby a group of practitioners share their artistic practice by teaching it, while learning in return from the practice of the other practitioners/teachers in the group. Feedback is also provided. I can teach, take risks, research into new methods, evaluate the experience and learn new skills and appreciation for different ways of working.

Coachwerks is a place for individual and collective artistic visions to be realized, a space for taking action, risks, gaining insights, learning and developing through collaboration and dialogue in a way that’s inclusive of the public. I don’t know of any other venue where I could get so much and so good. It’s a great place for art run by people who genuinely care about artists and audiences and who are already making a difference in all involved".

Sofia